Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mitt Romney Drops Out?

This election is getting stranger and stranger... the headline on foxnews.com right now reads "Mitt Quits Race". Mitt Romney is dropping out of the presidential race, which is quite shocking to me. Although I do find the subtitle under it a little wrong... "Road Clear For McCain To Capture GOP Nod."

Perhaps not. With a 3-way race between McCain, Romney, and Huckabee (I know Ron Paul is in it but he's not in it to win it, he's probably just in to get his message out), I think that McCain probably would have been the clear winner. BUT... there's a lot of conservatives that don't see McCain as a conservative and wouldn't consider voting for him. I personally see little difference between him and Hilary Clinton.

A lot of people don't see Huckabee as a conservative either, and I suppose that he isn't in some areas. But there's no doubt that he's a social conservative.

Anyway, with the choice now between McCain and not-McCain, it will be interesting to see how things turn out. I happen to like Huckabee myself, so I'm rooting for the not-McCain. I don't think that in a two-way race, McCain is necessarily the victor. 60% of voters have been voting not-McCain already... they've just been split as to whether they liked Romney or Huckabee.

Should be interesting to see what goes on in the next primary.

No comments: